Wednesday, June 11, 2003
SOME POST DRAFT/PRE TRAINING CAMP THOUGHTS
1) The 49ers filled just about every need in the NFL draft. It just remains to be seen whether their choices at WR, OT, DE, DT, and TE ultimately pan out.
2) The one position not addressed was cornerback, but they've got to give Mike Rumph one more year to shine, or to be declared a big bust.
3) So long Cade McNown, we hardly knew ya. Drafting Ken Dorsey is an intriguing pick. He can either become the next Joe Montana or the next Gio Carmazzi.
4) Goodbye J. J. Stokes! How you lasted this long is beyond me. Stokes' biggest problem was lack of speed. He could never get any kind of separation from defenders. His other main problem was that he was not Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, or even John Taylor for that matter. Don't expect Stokes to have any significant breakthrough with whatever team signs him.
5) The Raiders continue to get older, signing Dana Stubblefield, whom the 49ers released. Hey Raiders, I hear Ken Stabler is available, why don't you sign him while you're at it! The Raiders are showing every sign of morgaging the future to win in the present. It won't work forever! All these guys are gonna be retired some day soon. With improving AFC West opponents, the Raiders are quickly reaching last chance status.
6) John York (the 49ers owner) is doing nothing to discourage the reputation that he is a penny-pinching tight wad. By moving the 49ers training camp to their team headquarters he is saving a ton of money at the expense of the fans. Two token public practices won't make up for that disgrace.
7) Training camp is less than two months away!!! Football season will be here again before you know it. I'm going for the five-peat. One for the thumb!!!
Junior Bro 3:14:00 PM